Dad's Army is a British sitcom about the Home Guard during the Second World War. It was written by Jimmy Perry and David Croft and broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. The sitcom ran for 9 series and 80 episodes in total, plus a radio version based on the television scripts, a feature film and a stage show. The series regularly gained audiences of 18 million viewers and is still repeated worldwide.
Some of the many places that may be visited are:
- By special arrangement a tour of the MOD STANTA training area which was used in many an episode including the end title sequence.
- The Captain Mainwaring statue in Thetford along with the Dad’s Army Museum and the Bell Hotel where the actors and crew stayed while filming.
- Many of the other Thetford locations used such as the town hall and cinema.
- Lunch at a Dad’s Army pub.
- Walmington-on-Sea railway station, pier, church and church hall situated in four different villages.
- Bresssingham Steam Museum which houses a Dad’s Army display.
- The water tower from which the platoon have to fly their flag at the end of Battle of the Giants.
- The village where Godfrey’s cottage is located in Is there Honey Still for Tea?
- The railway bridge that Corporal Jones hangs under in Round and Round went the Big Green Wheel.
- The station where Captain Mainwaring gets soaked in The Royal Train.
These are just a few suggestions of the most popular sites. Alternatively you may wish to visit the Dad’s Army film locations in Kent and Buckinghamshire, or combine your day with locations from the Stephen Fry series, Kingdom also in the Suffolk/Norfolk area.
At a glance
Much of the filming for this ever popular BBC classic comedy was done in and around Thetford where this tour is based.
- Coach Tour
- Private Tour
- Walking Tour
- Child Friendly
- Lunch at a Dad’s Army pub
Coach parties: £10 per person for services of guide based on a minimum of 30 persons. Morning coffee, 2-course lunch and afternoon tea can be added as per budget.
Individuals: £250 per person based on two persons inclusive of chauffeured limousine, morning coffee, 2-course lunch at a Dad’s Army location, afternoon tea, pick-up and drop-off within 50 miles of Thetford.